Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Saving throw

Behold my current saving throw table:

Saving Throw (Attempt Throw) Table
Probability
2d20
Percent
Ratio
Very Likely
5
98%
>9:10
Likely
10
90%
9:10
Fairly Likely
15
77%
>7:10
Chancy
20
57%
>1:2
Fairly Unlikely
25
34%
1:3
Unlikely
30
16%
1:6
Very Unlikely
35
5%
1:20

I have no need for examples, because I am not trying to map a saving throw to an absolute target. Everything is relative. Relative to player class, race, experience. Relative to the issue at hand, the strength of the poison or the dragon's breath. And on and on.

This is fair. I almost never consult the players. They intuitively feel that the throw is fair if I describe the scenario clearly enough for them. If I am worried, then I consult the players and we work out likelihood together. Everyone is happy. The dice become the oracle.

You have probably noticed that I have in parentheses "attempt throw." I do not use "ability checks." But sometimes folks attempt to do things that inherently have probable outcomes. By using the bell curve and finding the center of the curve in what the character brings and what the situation demands I've found a great replacement for so-called "ability checks": attempt throws. Because we are not really testing abilities. One either has ability or not. What we are testing are attempts. And attempts are probable to varying degrees.

Again, I've never had a problem with players with this. It just feels intuitively right. And, again, if I am not sure what the likelihood is, we discuss it out and then roll. Again, everyone is happy, for the dice become the oracle.

Aren't dice fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment